Central Saanich’s Draft 2024 Financial Plan is now published, laying out the District’s plans for 2024 as well as looking ahead through to 2028. The plan finances for the District’s 2024-2027 Strategic Plan as well as its regular operations, ambitiously responding to community feedback with modest impact to taxpayers. The budget strives to ensure the services support a great quality of life in Central Saanich while managing your tax dollars responsibly; for example, planning to build a bike lane when a watermain replacement project is underway and road work is required.
Like all municipalities, the District is facing a variety of increased core costs such as labour contracts, increased interest rates and inflation, construction costs and rising vehicle and equipment costs. Each year the District works to balance increases to property taxes against services provided and long term planning for infrastructure replacement.
The municipal budget makes up approximately half of property tax bills; the other half is collected for regional agencies; property taxes are mailed in May.
2024 Draft Financial Plan highlights
- At present, the Central Saanich 2023 budget is balanced at $60M. The budget maintains the service levels and assets expected by the community.
- Included in the plan for 2024 are $1.4 million of Projects and Strategic Initiatives, $3 million for improvements to our active transportation network, and continued escalated funding for required future infrastructure replacements.
- In recent years, we have been successful in receiving a number of grants. We were awarded 9 grants in 2023 for $7.4M.
- The 2024 proposed property tax increase for the year, based on the average home, is $185, approximately $15 per month. The increase includes the following new funding: $38 for police operations, $41 for infrastructure, including active transportation, $100 for municipal operations and $6 for library services
- The plan eliminates business licence fees
- The plan also addresses the need for increased staffing to deliver strategic projects
Get involved from home or in person
- Read the Draft 2024 Financial Plan online or view a copy at Municipal Hall (see page 6 for the summary)
- Submit questions or feedback to email@example.com or talk with finance staff by phoning 250-544-4204.
- Attend budget presentations to Council. Council meetings are being broadcast live and livestreamed on the District’s website. Residents who wish to speak or make a submission to Council can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250.652.4444 for information on how to participate in the meetings. The public can also email feedback to Council directly or have it published as part of the agenda package by emailing email@example.com.
- Monday, March 4, 6:30 p.m. Budget Introduction and Operations presentation
- Monday, March 18, 6:30 p.m. Capital Plan and Strategic Implementation Plan