The District of Central Saanich frequently seeks input from the community, including but not limited to residents, local organizations, businesses and groups. We consult on topics such as priorities for the community, land use planning, projects and initiatives.
Decisions made by local government are improved through open and transparent processes, and through your input. The key to a balanced process is ensuring District staff and Council, as well as the wider community, understand the perspectives, opinions, ideas and concerns of people potentially affected by decisions.
When we go out to the public for input, it is then presented to decision makers and included along with other considerations such as financial, environmental and technical limitations, as well as longer term plans (e.g. Official Community Plan). The input that is collected is not usually a statistical representation of the community; it's an opportunity for concerns and ideas to be raised and carefully considered.
Depending on the nature of the project, our public engagement includes various means of community involvement:
- We inform by making timely information, updates and news available through a variety of channels
- We consult with key experts, consultants, effected community members or groups and partners to bring multiple views and opinions into the process
- We involve the public, experts, and special interest groups in planning, analysis and decision-making opportunities
- We collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams, external advisors, community members and others to work together on solutions
- We empower others to be involved or to lead or contribute to projects or initiatives
In 2024 we will be creating an Engagement Policy Framework. Watch for opportunities to participate!